Report on Trialling of Practical Assessment in Leaving Certificate Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Draft new subject specifications for Leaving Certificate Biology, Chemistry and Physics were prepared by the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA). These specifications include a proposal that 30% of the marks in each of these subjects be awarded for a 90-minute, laboratory based, externally assessed, practical examination, with the remaining 70% being for a written examination. The NCCA proposed these specifications to the Department of Education and Skills subject to the outcomes of trialling the proposed arrangements for the assessment of practical skills.
The arrangements were trialled in thirty schools in October 2017. Feedback was systematically gathered from all involved (students, teachers, school management, examiners, task setters, and chief examiners), and detailed quantitative and qualitative analyses were carried out on the feedback, the tasks, the outcomes, and the process.
Below is the report on that trial.
The appendices to the report are substantial, and for this reason only some are included in the report itself. The remaining ones are available separately. Attention is drawn in particular to the fact that complete sets of the task booklets used in the trial are in Appendices E, F, and G. Teachers may find these useful in their current teaching.
SEC science trial report (PDF)
Suitable for download and print.