Examiner Application Form 2018 - (Forms still being accepted)
The involvement of teachers in marking the work of students in our externally assessed examinations system is crucial.
We currently have Examiner vacancies across all subjects for marking the 2018 Leaving Certificate and Junior Certificate written examinations.
We will be appointing examiners right up to the start of the marking conferences in June and occasionally afterwards, in order to fill vacancies and in response to examiners dropping out for a variety of reasons.
We are now calling on all teachers, including recently qualified teachers and retired teachers, to apply for the position of examiner in all subjects for the 2018 examinations.
Applications from teachers competent to mark subjects through the medium of Irish are especially welcome. There is an additional payment for marking though Irish.
Apply Here or read on below for further information about the role, the qualifications required and the benefits of becoming involved in this work
Who Can Apply?
All suitably qualified teachers are welcome to apply for these positions. Examiners will be selected on the basis of their teaching and assessment experience and qualifications. Full training is provided and a support network is available throughout the marking process. Click here for details of our Written Examiner Recruitment Policy
Applicants for the position must:
- hold a third level degree or equivalent
- have recent teaching experience in the relevant subject area or related subject
- have good organisational and analytical skills
- be able to work to a fixed time-scale
- be available to work full-time for the duration of the marking
- be resident in the Republic of Ireland during the marking period.
How do I apply?
Application Form - Written Examiner 2018
The application form can be printed and completed in pen or downloaded and completed digitally. However, it must be signed by you in order to be a valid application. You can return it to us by post or, if you have access to a scanner, by e-mail.
By post to; Examiners Section, State Examinations Commission, Cornamaddy, Athlone, Co Westmeath
By e-mail to; firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are applying by e-mail don’t forget to sign the form before you scan it.
Please apply as soon as possible.
Why become an examiner?
Being an examiner enables you to:
- enhance your own teaching
- gain a deeper understanding of the assessment process
- exercise your professional judgement
- network with other professionals
- increase your professional development and career prospects
- earn extra income.
What is involved in the work of an examiner?
Typically, you will be required to
- familiarise yourself with the contents of the Instructions to Examiners booklet
- attend a marking conference
- collect your allocated scripts for marking
- mark the scripts in accordance with the agreed marking scheme
- submit scripts to your advising examiner for monitoring
- complete the work within a given time period
- submit a report at the end of the marking process
A support network is available throughout the marking process.
Contact Us for more Information
If you would like to speak to someone in the State Examinations Commission before you apply we would be happy to assist you at 090 – 644 2739 or 644 2735. You can also e-mail us at email@example.com